A Travellerspoint blog


Chelsea and I left Melbourne last Wednesday night (March 10) on a delayed flight to Sydney. We made it and Rob met us at the bus stop in Randwick which is where he lives right next to the University of New South Whales. We had a relaxing evening in.

Thursday, Chelsea and I went to Bondi Junction where there is heaps of shopping and several vendors set up on the street. From there we took another bus to Bondi beach which was surrounded by beautiful houses in the hills. It was a sunny day which was a nice change from all of the rain, but way too windy to be sitting on the beach. We were getting pelted by sand! We headed back to Bondi Junction to walk around a bit more and check out the shops. Oh and apparently it's pronounced "bond - eye". That evening Chelsea met up with some friends at Bondi and Rob and I went to Taste of Sydney, a food and wine festival for high society (it was a bit pricey). However, they were giving away free chocolate so I was content :) We tried all kinds of food, wine, beer, and desserts! My favorite was probably the fish cakes on sprouts and definitely the chocolate souffle. Before we left that night we grabbed handfuls of Ferrero chocolates and put them in my bag.

Friday we all went to Coogee beach which is much closer than Bondi. It was a beautiful day! Then we had a night on the town and met up with some other fellow Rochester students. The city looked beautiful at night and it was my first view of the harbour and opera house. So pretty!

Saturday, Chelsea and I took the bus into the city which I forgot to mention takes close to 45 minutes. I really missed being able to walk to the city from my room at this point. We went along the harbor and looked at the Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Opera House - landmarks that I had to see. From there we went to The Rocks which is the oldest part of Sydney I'm told. We walked among the vendors selling an assortment of items. We tried delicious tea, dried fruit, and bush honey that I really need to buy because it was delicious. From there we trekked off to Darling Harbor which reminds me of South Bank in Melbourne a bit with it's cafes and restaurants and shopping lining the water. It was a beautiful spot and one of my favorites. We got lunch there and sat outside for a bit enjoying the weather. Apparently the largest IMAX theatre is there or so I'm told. We went back to the city that night to the casino! AND as if it hadn't rained enough in Melbourne it poured on us! The previous day we tried to say that we got drenched coming home and he didn't believe us! He said it never really rains here, it just mists. Well this was no mist! We ran to escape it which was pointless because we would have been just as wet had we walked, but running was much more fun. We ran over this pedestrian bridge that went across Darling Harbor. By the time we got to the casino we looked like drowned rats. I didn't think they would let us in! But it was all great fun and we made it! Chelsea had never been and I took us right to the slots pretending I knew what I was doing (thanks Ma and Jer haha). We also came out ahead! Woo! Rob called us old ladies. Oh well! We had a blast and only played with $20 which kept us entertained for hours. Chelsea really wants to go to the one in Melbourne which is gorgeous inside. I only know because we ate there during Melbourne Welcome.

Sunday. Chelsea and I got up early and awoke to a gorgeous day which worked out well because we had big plans to go back to the beach! We missed the bus to Coogee, but then found out from a local that it's only a 20 minute walk. I fueled up on some coffee and we headed to the coast for the Eastern Coast Walk - it has a name and that may not be it. It's this walk that goes along the coast to Bondi beach. Very beautiful views! My new toy (i.e. the fabulous camera) took great pics that I will put up shortly but not tonight because I need to get to bed! It took us much longer than expected because we didn't know how far it was. From where we were staying, the journey to Bondi took less than two hours. We also did it barefoot because all the prior walking had taken a toll on our feet, blisters and whatnot. We finally reached Bondi and got to watch a surfing competition! The beach was way too hot so we headed back after about an hour of that. We got groceries to make Rob dinner for accommodating us and had a nice relaxing evening before we had to leave early the next morning.

I'm getting excited as we plan our final things for Easter holiday. We just found out and were made to feel a bit silly that there is a blues festival going on the same time that we'll be in Byron Bay. It's a pretty big deal and when the hostel told us they were booked because of the festival and we sounded shocked they couldn't believe it! Anyway I REALLY want to go to that. Busy week ahead of me! There's so much to do and so little time it seems. I have a running list of all the things I want to do. It's so exciting! I'll put up pictures soon.

Posted by bhuber 05:21

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint